First aid & rescue stories from our clients!

At about 5 a.m. in the morning, my husband was awoken by a strange sound…

“My sister hosted a Red Cross Infant/Child CPR course at her house. I attended because I was going to be helping to look after my new nephew when my sister went back to work after her maternity leave was over and because I was also due to have my second child the following September. The instructor for the first aid class was Gill McCulloch from Safe & Sound First Aid Training Ltd.  The following September, my son Daniel was born and we brought him home from the hospital when he was two days old.

On his first night home was sleeping in the cradle next to our bed and, although my husband sleeps with earplugs, I usually hear everything and awake very easily. This night I didn’t hear anything.  At about 5 a.m. in the morning, my husband was awoken by a strange sound coming from the cradle.  Thankfully, one of his earplugs had fallen out of his ear.  He got up, looked into the cradle and in the slightly darkened room, noticed that the sound was coming from our baby and that the baby had his back arched.  He immediately picked him up.  Daniel’s head was back, his back was arched and he appeared to be choking.  His hands, arms and mouth area were very cold.  My husband and I passed him back and forth and paddled his little back and finally I recalled what I had learned in Gill’s first aid class and what I needed to do.  I took a deep breath and continued to administer what I had learned in the class until he coughed up a rubbery sticky ball of mucous that was caught in his throat and obstructing his breathing.

It still scares me to this day, to think about what may have happened that day had I not taken Gill’s Safe & Sound First Aid class.  I would highly recommend this training to anyone and everyone – it saved my newborn son’s life!”

Tracey Carslake
Port Coquitlam, BC

My family was at dinner at a friend’s house when my son started to choke…

“I hosted my first Safe & Sound First Aid Training course in my home after the birth of our first child.  I had quite a few friends who had all had their first children around the same time and we all really felt that it was a good idea for us to have some formal first aid training. With a new baby around there are plenty of other things to worry about and I wanted the peace of mind that I would be able to react quickly in an emergency situation.

We were all so pleased with our instructor Gill McCulloch. She made us all feel so relaxed, and being a Mom herself she was able to give us fantastic advice that we knew was practical and realistic.  We all finished the course that day feeling like we possessed the knowledge needed to make our homes safe for our little ones.

The very next day after our first aid course my family was at dinner at a friend’s house when my son started to choke on a piece of ham. Everyone at the table was very surprised at how calm I stayed and how efficiently I was able to get the situation under control. I know that had he choked two days prior I would have done the wrong thing and most definitely panicked. Thankfully he was OK, and the rest of the dinner went off without a hitch.

I had my second child 2 years ago and it was very helpful to have my first aid books still around to re-baby-proof our house again.
So here I am, ready to renew my first aid certificate. Not only for my own personal use, but because I also take care of several of my friend’s children. I have had no problem at all in having friends sign up to take the course again.  We all loved learning from Gill and being able to take the course in the relaxed environment of my home. I would highly recommend the Red Cross Emergency Child Care First Aid Training Course to all parents and care-givers.”

Sincerely,
Shannon Hyde

One of our hikers lost her balance and fell down some very big and jagged rocks…

“I recently completed my Red Cross Standard First Aid & CPR program with Safe & Sound First Aid Training Ltd. and within a week I have already been able to use the skills I learned! During a trip to Mexico to a non-resort town, a group of us went hiking in the wooded and waterfall areas, when one of our hikers lost her balance and fell down some very big and jagged rocks. I witnessed this whole event and was first on the scene. She was very disoriented and shaken with a bruised shoulder, banged forehead and black eye with minor scrapes. Luckily she stopped and didn’t fall to the bottom of the incline. It could have been a very bad situation.

We helped her up and out and luckily she was alright besides her minor injuries. She did need a sling for her arm for the next few days before traveling back home. I was able to put on a proper sling for her which no one else knew how to do. Even the knowledge of a minor thing as proper application of a sling helps out tremendously when someone is in pain. Having first aid training gave me the confidence and skills to be able to help. I recommend first aid training for everyone and Safe and Sound is a fantastic place to get it. Their staff members are fun and very professional. You just never know when you might need to do first aid!”

Justin Sain
Coquitlam, BC