Are you worried when you leave your older child at home alone with their younger siblings? If you’d like your 11-15 year old to learn babysitting skills and how to be safer when home alone, you may like to sign them up for our Red Cross Babysitting class on September 21 2018 in Coquitlam. Register online or call 604-945-7277.
What will your child learn on a Red Cross Babysitting class?
As a trained babysitter, your child will learn how to:
- Look after babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and school-age children.
- Care for himself/herself and siblings when home alone.
- Create a safe environment, and deal with phone calls and unexpected visitors.
- React confidently in case of an emergency, such as choking, bleeding, poisoning or burns.
- Cope with common problems, such as tantrums and crying.
- Play games and organize activities to keep kids of all ages entertained.
- Manage a babysitting business. This includes creating a resume and a business card and asking the right questions before accepting a babysitting job.
The Canadian Red Cross Babysitting course, refreshed and revised, now has a greater emphasis on First Aid skills. The course covers everything from managing difficult behaviours to essential content on leadership and professional conduct as a babysitter. Babysitting promises to deepen and enhance the responsibility that older youth feel when caring for younger children. This updated curriculum, complete with new science, also provides improved learning when it comes to giving the appropriate care in the event of an emergency.
First Aid Content includes:
- Check, Call, Care (includes phoning EMS/911)
- Glove removal
- Recovery position
- Conscious choking (adult/child/baby/alone)
- CPR (baby/child)
- Asthma (includes use of inhaler and spacer)
- Anaphylaxis (includes use of EpiPen)
- Insect stings
- Wound care (i.e. minor cuts and scrapes, splinters, nosebleeds, bumps and bruises
- Life-threatening bleeding, burns)
- Head, neck and back injuries
- Broken bones
For course information and online registration please follow the links below or call 604-945-7277.